Case-in-Point: Zuckerberg's blog on Open Source

Well, OSI run a “co-design” process to legitimate its definition.

Unfortunately, an “error” during the process gave to the Llama team (and only the Llama team) the power to exclude training and testing data from the definition by cancelling other teams’ votes.

Thanks to @samj, we now know that, fixing such error, the “co-design” process leads to requiring to share such data.

Yet the FAQs still allow “unshareable private data”.

This is baffling at least.

I wouldn’t give much weights to their mumbling (nerd pun intended :innocent:)

There is only so much credibility that money can buy.
And it’s pretty easy to loose: Don’t believe the hype: AGI is far from inevitable | Radboud University

Also the only real kind of open washing that we can really address here is open washing through OSI’s definition.

It can only stick based on its own quality.

While he seems to draw the wrong conclusions, the fact that @stefano (OSI President) quoted RMS and his “foundational work” several times as an authoritative source, is an example of such dynamic.

We relied heavily on foundational texts like the GNU Manifesto and the Four Freedoms of software.
[…]
…thanks to people like Richard Stallman and the GNU GPL…

I mean, we all remember that just 3 years ago, several OSI directors defined RMS as “dangerous force in the free software community for a long time”, so much dangerous to “call for the entire Board of the FSF to step down and for RMS to be removed from all leadership positions”.

And you can’t imagine how I appreciate the forthcoming public apology on the OSI’s blog, that @stefano’s words hint at.

With the obvious and clear-cut requirement that we all agree upon: with a definition that requires training data to be shared as even the “co-design” process concluded.

Training data is the most valuable asset here just like source code was the most valuable asset when OSI was created.

Everybody knows this.

The argument “you must use your own data to rebuild it but this system is still Open Source” is just like saying “you must use your own code to rebuild it but this is system is still Open Source”.

:man_shrugging: